Friday, January 4, 2013

Ski Instructor Report 29 December 2012

I had a pleasant surprise this week. There were some lovely guests in the Hotel Palarine, who actually read my reports. It is very nice to know that someone reads my rambling thoughts. They even said that they enjoyed some of my reports. I thought that I should give you an update on the smoking ban in Andorra. On the positive side: a bar man told me that he has much more time to serve and talk to customers as he is not constantly clean ashtrays. One pretty barmaid told me that she now feels that she does not have to wash her hair, after every shift, to get rid of the smell of smoke. On the negative side, smokers appear to go out on to the street to enjoy their cigarettes. This means that you can no longer walk down the main street in Arinsal enjoying the clear fresh air. Now you have to go into a shop or bar for fresh air. One of my very nice group complained that there were no tea making facilities in her room. In even cheap B & B s in England you would expect this facility but I cannot remember having this in a ski resort. I have asked, if anyone knew of a hotel in Arinsal which provided a kettle in the room. No one could think of one. So if this is important to you, I suggest that you check with your hotel and bring a travel kettle, if one is not provided. Friday night is music night, so I went out to listen to the bands. Firstly, I went to Bogart’s bar and as usual, enjoyed Velvet Blues. I then went to hear a new band in El Cau. This band has just been formed from local workers and I went there with no great expectations. However, I really was impressed, I thoroughly enjoyed their music. I would describe it as Country Rock mixed with some modern pop. Danny, the front man, did a great job involving the audience. I hope this band will be around for a long time. They are so new they do not appear to have a name yet. I did enquire and someone suggested “Semipro”. I suspect that a more appropriate name will be found in the near future. ( Suggestions please, to the webmaster.) After a pleasant time in El Cau, I moved down the hill and visited the Derby. Their resident musician is Keith, an Irish singer and guitarist. This young man is excellent in audience participation. The whole bar was enjoying his eclectic style of music. He appears there, most days and has an extended session on Fridays. With so much good music in the bars I do not know which bar to go to next week. I think the best solution would be to go to them all.

No comments: