Saturday, January 5, 2013

Ski Instructor Report 5 January 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR. This year started well for us in Arinsal, with new snow on the 1st and 2nd. The last couple of days it has turned sunny and warm. We were quite busy this week; I had a morning group of intermediates and an afternoon class of beginners. The morning group was great fun, everyone was here to enjoy themselves and they did. I was unable to take my beginners as far up the mountain as I would have liked. However they all tried very hard and all were pleased with their personal achievements. I cannot report on New Year week without mentioning the après ski; the Palarine had their annual fancy dress party with free bar. This is included for all the hotel guests but the tour companies had not told them about this. Some had made other arrangements or had not brought a costume. (Maria always has a few spare ones). The locals who had booked this evening looked spectacular. Most had made a great effort. I wore my kilt for Hogmanay and visited a few of my usual bars to pass on the seasonal greetings. Several ladies were very keen to find out what I was wearing under my kilt. My stock answer was “Give me your hand and you will find out for yourself.” One screamed “That is gruesome.” My reply was “Yes and it grew some more.” I saw in the South African New Year at the Quo Vadis, then the Andorran New Year back in the Palarine. We stayed up for the British New year then partied for a while. The Party broke up about 3-30 am. The hard worked bar staff went to the Quo to relax and saw in the American New Year. The people clearing up after the late night party were joined by the staff who had arrived to lay up for breakfast. I believe everyone enjoyed themselves. Of course, I retired a bit earlier as I started work at 9 am. All of my class, bar one were on time. Later on in the week, we were entertained at the Palarine by Mike (Elvis) Jones. The guests loved it. This will be a regular gig, on Thursdays, following the “All You Can eat Oriental Buffet” this should prove popular with the locals. Mike’s arrival means that we have even more choice in Arinsal when we are looking for live entertainment.

No comments: