Sunday, January 31, 2010

I was fortunate again to have another very jolly group this week. They all appeared to enjoy their skiing and the holiday. Some spoke of returning. Their week was rounded off with a fresh fall of snow on Friday night with more during the following day.

On Tuesday two ladies in the group told me, that they thought that they were slowing down the group and would like to be put in another class. During a coffee stop I met an instructor, who had the next class down from me. He readily accepted my two pretty ladies and offered me one of his own, in return, as she was skiing slightly faster than the rest of his group. The following morning my two ladies were back, saying that the other class was slow for them and my group was too fast for them. There is a very easy solution to this problem;. a private lesson.. Both accepted my advice and booked a one hour lesson with Marcus. As the price is the same for one or two people they shared the cost. The result was that they rejoined my class and were able to keep pace with the others.

Monday 25th was of course Burns Night. The Palarine provided excellent Scottish food, including haggis. We had six nationalities dancing Strip the Willow. Mike Jones, the entertainer sang a memorable medley of Elvis songs played in the traditional Scottish style, a great night..

Each year the instructors hold a Burns Party on the Saturday following the 25th. This year we held it in Bogart’s Bar in the Princessa Park. We had very few people at the agreed start time. In fact, at 8-15 pm , we had insufficient ladies for a Strip the Willow. I was forced tto improvise by borrowing one of the bar staff to be the fourth lady. This delightful Spanish lady said that she enjoyed the dance, or did she just prefer this to working behind the bar. Who knows? The evening improved with time and the last dance had 20 dancers. I did not count the Nationalities but I saw Argentineans, Australians, French, Spanish, Swedish and some South Africans. You do not have to be Scottish to enjoy Scottish Country Dancing..



Perhaps I shall get more skiing next week and a little less social life.

No comments: