Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ski Instructors Report 30th December 2010

I had a great day’s skiing on Christmas day. The slopes were deserted and the sun was shining, on the down side there was a very cold wind blowing. I was skiing with Ian, or more accurately I was going up the lift with him. Ian is training for the Euro Speed Test, so when we set off I would follow him down. He then had a short wait at the bottom, or sometime not so short a wait. We skied the top gullies, which had filled with fresh windblown powder. By the time we had skied a few of the gullies we would go back to the first and the wind had filled in our tracks. It really was a great day. But where were all the people? Surely they could not all be hung over or had decided to eat turkey all day instead of skiing. Whatever they were doing they missed a great day.

One evening Mike, aka Elvis, entertained the guest in the Palarine bar. There were very few British there but quite a few Catalans enjoying a drink after their Chinese Meal. We had the first “Sweet Caroline of the season”. With hindsight I think that it may have been too early. There was a bit of dancing and about midnight I noticed that there were six Catalan children dancing, the eldest about 9 years and the youngest 6. They were well behaved and enjoying themselves. Mike was playing for them and keeping them involved, whilst their parents enjoyed there coffees and brandies. There is such different attitude towards children in bars here than that in Britain.

Mike had an easy evening as we had several quest appearances. Lucy Jones, who was over here from her London Musical Theatre School, gave us a great performance, as did her younger sister, Sophie. Both received a much bigger round of applause than Mike. (What does this tell you? Mike!) There was a surprise performance by Josh Jackson, the 8 year old internationally recognised, Michael Jackson impersonator. It was another most enjoyable evening in the Palarine.

I am posting this report early, as I am seeing in the New Year at the Palarine. The guests are treated to a spectacular Chinese Banquet, followed by a fancy dress party with a free bar. Just in case I do not feel like typing tomorrow I am posting this now. I will, of course, give you all about the party in next week’s report. Well, at least, all the bits that I can remember.

I wish all my reaaders a Very Happy New Year, with lots of great skiing, in perfect powder.

No comments: