Monday, February 18, 2013

Ski Instructors Report 17 February 2013

Last Sunday, I had a glorious morning of powder skiing under a cold clear blue sky. I was accompanied by my friends Corinne and Special K. We were really enjoying ourselves until Corinne and I had to go to work at lunchtime. After we finished our lessons, it had become overcast and then, we had even more snow. It was Special K’s first day so she finished skiing soon after we did. She is one of many repeat guests that we get in Arinsal. She has been coming here for several years and always books ski school, as she enjoys the social side of being in a class. Over the years most of the English instructors have had her, at sometime or other, in their class. She feels that Arinsal is like a second home as she is now familiar with a lot of the long term workers. This endorses what I often say, that Arinsal is a really friendly little village. I had two groups this week and I am sorry to say for the first three days we had poor skiing conditions due to it snowing on and off for most of the time. However, we had brilliant weather and snow conditions for their last three days. I think that my intermediate group and my beginners really enjoyed their week. Some were talking about returning next season. Après ski was quiet this week, as it was half term in some parts of the U.K. Therefore we had a lot of families, who had early nights. In my beginners’ class were several Welsh school teachers, who did not have any children with them, so they were able to party. Next week is the main half term week and as I have often mentioned before - avoid this week unless you really have to come then. The hotels are expensive, the slopes and lifts are crowded, and the bars and restaurants are crowded early evening then deserted later. There are very few young people in the village, so they are unable to meet other young people and do whatever young people do when they meet other young people. I am always glad when half term week is over, then we can get back to being a ski resort. Sadly half term means that we are past half way through the season and it reminds us that the end is nigh.

No comments: