Friday, February 4, 2011

Ski Instructors Report 4th February 2011

I cannot give you a report on Arinsal this week as I have been in the U.K. What I can report is that during my visit to Britain the weather was grey, damp and cold, and at the weekend very windy. This made me realise how lucky I am to be able to work in the mountains where the winter weather is frequently bright and clear with vivid blue skies. Yes, we can have bad weather in the mountains but a lot less often than back home. I am not one of those expats who constantly run down Britain. I love being at home during the spring and summer. I enjoy the freshness of spring and find that the temperatures in summer, in the south of England hot enough for me. I have no desire to go abroad when it is so hot than one spends the day looking for an air conditioned cafĂ© or bar. I cannot remember the last time that I took a summer holiday abroad. I much prefer the sun and the snow; this may sound contradictory to someone who has never skied but I can assure you that it is possible to have snow and very strong sunshine. Like most other instructors, I have known clients to lose a day’s skiing due to severe sunburn. Sometimes they say that they put sun cream on in the hotel and thought that would be enough. NO! From February onwards you must top up again at least once at lunch time. It is very sad when the victim of sunburn is a child, who was relying on the parents’ judgement.



I hope to be able to write a proper report on Arinsal next week. So if you want to escape the awful British weather come and visit us but DO REMEMBER TO BRING THE SUN CREAM.

No comments: