Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ski Instructors Report 12th February 2011

The guests this week have enjoyed great spring skiing. The only problem is that it is only the second week of February. Every day has been bright and sunny, the nights have been cold enough for the snow cannons to operate and the piste machines did a great job grooming the ski runs overnight, so we were able to ski on smooth firm snow from nine o’clock. When the sun warmed up, the snow became perfect until about three o’clock when the lower slopes got very slushy. I had a difficult intermediate group, as there soon developed a split in abilities. The faster ones wanted to stay together and I was unable to find another instructor with room for all of them. Two of the slower ladies went to a slightly more suitable group. I pointed out to the class, that they had booked group lessons and someone is always the fastest in that group and of course someone has to be the slowest. Life is like that; look at Formula one racing. The only way that the lesson will be entirely suitable for your pace, is to book a private lesson. Two ladies did just that and greatly improved their skiing. I have discussed this point many times before, so some of you will have read this already. “Group lessons for the social side but private lessons to improve your skiing



I went out on Friday to the Princessa Parc Hotel to meet some of my class for a drink. The lounge bar is very tranquil, with Ian West playing the piano in the background. This bar is one of the very few in Andorra to ban smoking. Next to the lounge is Bogart’s bar, which is very attractively decorated with livelier background music and has an efficient extraction system, this is very important as Andorra still permits smoking in bars. After a very comfortable hour in fairly luxurious surroundings, I decided to move on to the Decades Evening. This is held above El Cau in what is actually the village hall, a large barn of a room with no ascetic appeal whatsoever. The floor was awash with spilt beer, the music was loud and raucous but did this place rock. I met several fellow instructors, some local residents, a couple from my class and quite a few new friends that I had met earlier in the week at various bars. I had a few hugs and dances with some of our very pretty girl reps. I had a very enjoyable time there. When the show finished about midnight I started my usual walk home. As I passed the Derby (the Irish Bar) I heard the sound of live music, so I popped in for a small Guinness to sustain me on my long walk home. The Ragamuffins’ were in full swing, playing to a crowed dance floor. It was a very lively and jolly atmosphere.

I do not know why I was reminded of the old quotation, by someone whose name I have forgotten but I think that it was the sort of thing that Oscar Wilde may have said,



“GO TO HEAVEN FOR THE CLIMATE BUT HELL FOR THE COMPANY.”

No comments: