Saturday, April 10, 2010

It always snows in April in Andorra that has been true for the last 26 years that I have been here. This year we had three falls during the first week of April, so we have been enjoying good skiing for the past week. It has been very busy during this week, as a lot of Portuguese arrived and gave work to the Spanish speaking instructors. Some of the English speaking ones left early as they thought that there would be no work for them this week. One is on his way back to Australia for their winter season. We needed you Dingo, have a great season down under.

Now that the season is over, I have been thinking what I shall miss in Arinsal and what I am looking forward to in England. Of course, I will miss the skiing and the great holiday atmosphere in the village. I will miss my many friends that I will not see again until December. I must also mention the tremendous hospitality of all the staff at the Palarine, especially Graham, Maria, Stuart (BBA) and the lovely newcomer, Daniela.. And finally free skiing with my good friend Corinne. What I will NOT miss is the smoky bars. Andorra still permits smoking in bars and restaurants. They will eventually catch up with the rest of Europe, after all they have allowed women to vote since 1970.

Now, for the things that I am looking forward to in England. Firstly, seeing my wife and daughter, Alexandra. A pint of real ale in a smoke free pub.. Seeing this year’s spring flowers. This year they are late appearing in Andorra.. Usually I see crocus, hepatica, grape hyacinths and hellebore before I leave Andorra.

This will be my last report until next season, unless I hear something interesting about Arinsal, before next winter. Bye for now and have a great summer.

No comments: