Saturday, December 19, 2009

GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

We had a big snow fall at the beginning of November and again during the first week of December, so we had great expectations for a great season. Most of that snow disappear during a warm spell but for the last week it has been very cold, so the snow cannons have been on and the pistes are now in good condition. On the night of Friday 19th we had a small dusting of snow. It was just enough to brighten up things. However there was just about enough to bring London to a complete stand still.

We are all expecting an increase of number of guests this season. Last year, like most other resorts, we had few visitors due to the world financial situation. Tomorrow, Sunday 20th December, we will see the arrival of our first British groups of the season. Some instructors may be in the bars, observing the new arrivals, looking out for the fit ones. It is not good if you have some unfit ones in their group. They are more prone to hurt themselves and find it difficult keeping up with the rest of the group.

Skiing is a physically demanding sport. I must admit that after my first few days of skiing this season, my poor little Scottish legs had very stiff and tender thighs. I did try to get as much exercise as I could before the start of the season. Even then I felt slight discomfort in the evenings.

I have found that guest who are reasonably fit tend to enjoy their skiing more. I realise that not everyone has the time or inclination to visit one of the many gyms that have sprung up all over towns. Those who go should consult the professional trainers, for advice on suitable exercises for skiers. For the rest of you, who will be the vast majority, I would suggest taking part in any exercise that you enjoy will improve your skiing. One of the simplest exercises is just walking up stairs. I really do believe that any extra activity will benefit your safety and comfort.

I hope to meet lots of you,+ fit or not, in the near future and feel sure that you will thoroughly enjoy Arinsal.

No comments: