Friday, December 26, 2008

THE PRICE OF GUINNESS

THE PRICE OF GUINNESS

I was prompted, by question by a visitor on the price of local beer, to conduct a survey on this subject. I found it impossible to do an accurate price comparison, as there were several different brands stocked by the bars. I decided to look for a common denominator and chose the cost of a pint of draught Guinness.

I caught my usual bus to the top of the village and had my first pint in the Princessa Park. I had to ask the Spanish barman for a pinta ( peen tah) of Guinness. This cost me 5 euros. I walked down the hill and found that The Quo Vadis, El Cau, El Moli and Cisco’s all charged 4 euros. Further down the hill I found that El Derbi (the Irish bar) charged me 5 euros. The last bar, the Barsolanna charged 4 Euros.

My scientific survey was now complete so I walked back to Erts. As I passed the St Gothard I felt a need to use their facilities. After feeling suitably relieved, I checked their bar and found that a pint cost 3 euros 90 cents. I was so pleased to find the cheapest pint, I let the barman keep the 10 cent change. This made it the same price as most of the other bars, I was feeling very benevolent by this time.

Eventually I arrived safely home at the Palarine Hotel and told STUART about my survey. He became quite belligerent and told me he wanted to be called the Best Barman in Andorra and not the Best Barman in Arinsal as stated in a previous report. Perhaps this was not pure conceit but the fact that the Palarine is in Erts. Well, back to my survey; STUART (B.B.in A.) explained that the Palarine stocked the International Continental Mini Keg Guinness, for sale at only 3-50 euros. He poured it and at the press of a button a high tech miracle was performed. The glass of Guinness became a draught Guinness. It was worth the money just to watch STUART’s magic. He pointed out that this glass is less than a pint and that some of the bars may have been serving the Guinness in half litre glasses which are also less than a pint. I felt at this stage, I was not capable of conducting a Weights and Measures Survey, indeed, coherent speech was becoming increasingly difficult.

I then thought , “ What about the taste?” Well, after the first 3 or 4 I thought that they all tasted the same. Then I thought, “What about the look of the pint?” STUART’s Guinness was a marvel but the best looking pint was in the QUO VADIS. This may be due to the fact that it was served by the lovely CHLOE and every thing she does is beautiful.

I went to bed and slept soundly and dreamt of repeating the survey but next time on Malt Whisky. If I do that survey I think I will choose the evening before my day off.

Due to the fact that this survey was conducted under difficult field conditions, there may be some inaccuracies, if so, would any bar that I missed please tell me and I will correct any errors or ommissions in my next report.

No comments: