Monday, March 30, 2009

SPRING HAS SPRUNG,. OR HAS IT.?

We have been enjoying three weeks of glorious weather. It is typical spring skiing, firm first thing in the morning, then great skiing until mid afternoon when the snow becomes heavy and slushy. This is the time of year when we keep skiing until it is time to have a late lunch n the sun. RL MOLI had a barbeque outside the bar and had tables and chairs outside on the pavement. The Poblado has a lovely sunny terrace as do the QUO VADIS. Most of the dinners were local people as there are very few visitors. The few that are here are having a great time.

On my walk down to Erts I found some clumps of white hepaticas and some hellebores. These wee on the bank beside the roadway that use on my way back to the hotel.. I have not seen any crocus yet. One can usually see them on sunny banks next to the ski slopes but with all the snow the few bare patches have not had the sun for long, maybe we will see some soon.

I started writing this report on Friday 27 th. Saturday is my day off and I walked down to the small town of La Massana, before I walked home it started to rain, so I caught the bus back to Erts. I could see that it was snowing in the mountains. Later in the afternoon it was snowing down in the village. As the old saying goes; “The weather can change rapidly in the mountains.”

On Sunday we had some cloud and bright periods and some great skiing. On Monday we were back to bright blue skies with perfect snow. We all had a wonderful day of fast skiing. The slopes were deserted as we had NO English groups. No work and all play. It was great. The only slight problem is, as instructors we only get paid whilst actually working. No work means no pay, so by the time the resort closes some of us may have starved to death. But at least we will have had unforgettable skiing before we went.

No comments: